Are you a student or a parent of a student under the age of 18? Download this information guide to understand how we protect your data.
Healthy Player ONE is committed to ensuring that your information is secure, and your privacy is protected. The information below outlines our privacy and security policies. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we store. Our security protocols are detailed further in this document.
How we use Healthy Player ONE
Healthy Player ONE is a small application installed by school district officials on district-owned gaming computers’ hard drives. Once installed, the application is capturing video footage of game play along with audio on the player’s headset, as well as measure the time the user is on the device. That information is uploaded daily to Healthy Player ONE cloud dashboard. Once uploaded to our online dashboard, the usage record stored on your device is cleared. At any given time, the file on your device only maintains data since the last automatic upload. Once installed by district officials, only authorized district officials may remove that software.
Further, Healthy Player ONE allows a player to record video and audio experienced during game play to document the physical and verbal actions of other players. This is intended as a means of accurately documenting if any harassment or other inappropriate behavior is taking place. These videos are also uploaded and can only be reviewed by authorized school district officials and by Healthy Player ONE staff who may assist your institution with the review of the incident.
Our guiding principles on personal data
- What We Collect: We only collect the following information on each user, as defined by their role in the academic institution.
- Students: Healthy Player ONE only collects a student’s computer login name, personal name, esports player name and the esports team affiliation. Videos captured by players only record the computer screen and any audio spoken between players. We do not collect email addresses, personal addresses, phone numbers, personal photos or any other personally identifiable information on students or users under the age of 18, other than what may divulged by users when speaking with other players during game play.
- Staff Members With Administrative Access to Healthy Player ONE: Only staff members authorized by school officials to access Healthy Player ONE will additional personally identifiable information be collected. This may include, but is not limited to, name, email address, work phone number and the school/department they are assigned to. This information is collected solely to assist that authorized user with customer and technical support should they contact Healthy Player ONE for assistance with their user account.
- Data Ownership – Personal Information: Healthy Player ONE acknowledges that all personally identifiable information about students, teachers, administrators, and other authorized users is the property of the educational agencies Healthy Player ONE serves.
- Purpose: Healthy Player ONE is a trusted steward of personal data. While we make every effort to NOT collect ANY personally identifiable user data, we have implemented these privacy procedures in the event a school customer does, in fact, input personally identifiable information in our system. Any personal data received from educational agencies is to be used solely for purposes of providing educational services. Such personally identifiable data will NOT be sold or used for marketing purposes.
- Protection: Healthy Player ONE keeps all personal data confidential and secure. Healthy Player ONE team members are bound by contractual non-disclosure agreements. Healthy Player ONE’s data security protections include: internal data management policies and procedures, limitations on access to personal data, data systems monitoring, incident response plans, and safeguards to ensure personal data is not accessed by unauthorized persons when transmitted over communication networks.
- Data Accessibility: Although we collect only limited student information (name and username), students and parents may wish to access any reports of injury or bullying involving themselves or their child. It is the responsibility of the academic institution to share reports with students and parents, as applicable. Such data may be accessed by authorized school officials with access to the Healthy Player ONE dashboard.
- Disposal of Data: Healthy Player ONE permanently deletes any personal identifiable data after the termination of a contract, when no longer needed, or when advised to do so by the educational institution.
- Discovery of a security breach that results in unauthorized release of personally identifiable data: Healthy Player ONE shall promptly notify affected educational agencies of such breach, shall investigate, and shall restore the integrity of its data systems as soon as possible. Healthy Player ONE will fully cooperate and assist with required notices to those individuals affected by such breach.
- Third Parties (Personally Identifiable Information) – We will only share personal information stored on behalf of our customers with third parties if authorized by the relevant School District or SEA customer and in the following situations, to the extent we believe in good faith it is necessary or appropriate and permitted by law:
- To comply with the law, respond to requests in legal or government enforcement proceedings (such as complying with a subpoena), protect our rights in a legal dispute, or seek assistance of law enforcement in the event of a threat to our rights, security or property or that of our affiliates, customers, end users or others;
- To work with third parties who conduct studies or assist us in providing and improving our products and services, such as platform, infrastructure, software and other types of service providers, agents, partners and researchers. We contractually bind such parties to protect personal information by, for example, not using the information for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for Healthy Player ONE; and
- We may also share information collected or stored in Healthy Player ONE systems with affiliated education companies your academic institution has also contracted with, as directed by your institution, provided that such disclosure is used solely for the benefit of the academic institution and is not shared with unauthorized additional third parties.
- In any instance we require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information.
- Third Parties (Non-Identifiable Usage Data ONLY): Healthy Player ONE may collect and compile de-identified, aggregate usage data across all its customers for the limited use of research and other business purposes. Healthy Player ONE may evaluate platform and application utilization to identify usage trends and system capacity. During the course of these evaluations, including if/when reports are provided to third parties, at no time does Healthy Player ONE retrieve, collect, or share end-user information. The only data collected will be the applications and web sites visited and the amount of time used. NO identifiable information pertaining to the identity of the school institution or any of its users (adults or children) will be collected or used in the scope of this limited use. This information will NOT be used for ad tracking purposes.
Healthy Player ONE is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Any information provided by users of this website to Healthy Player ONE is intended solely for the purposes of improving end-user experience and communications between end-users and Healthy Player ONE. Healthy Player ONE does not share email addresses or user information with any third parties, other than noted in this policy.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. For authorized users accessing the Healthy Player ONE dashboards, cookies further help them customize and “remember” the formats of the reports when they log back into the dashboard.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Commitments to State/National/International Student Data Privacy Efforts
Healthy Player ONE is a trusted steward of personal data. To that end, we acknowledge our efforts to comply with the following student privacy efforts, as well as any other efforts introduced not reflected below.
International Student Privacy Pledge
As a signatory to the Student Privacy Pledge (https://studentprivacypledge.org/) our goal is to both support the effective use of student information and safeguard student privacy and information security. Healthy Player ONE maintains a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security of personal student information.
- Not sell student personal information
- Not behaviorally target advertising
- Use data for authorized education purposes only
- Not change privacy policies without notice and choice
- Enforce strict limits on data retention
- Support parental access to, and correction of errors in, their children’s information
- Provide comprehensive security standards
- Be transparent about collection and use of data
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA sets forth protocols for ensuring privacy and security of personally identifiable information of students. Healthy Player ONE adheres to the data protection protocols set forth in FERPA.
Healthy Player ONE is compliant with the regulations put forth by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Healthy Player ONE collects and stores only that information which enables users to operate Healthy Player ONE products, such as name, username, and password. Healthy Player ONE does not intentionally collect and store personally identifying information of student users.
The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) requires schools and libraries receiving certain e-Rate benefits from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to adhere to policies that provide safe internet experiences for minors. These include policies related to:
- Preventing access by minors to inappropriate matter on the Internet;
- The safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms and other forms of direct electronic communications;
- Unauthorized access, including so-called “hacking,” and other unlawful activities by minors online;
- Unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors; and
- Measures restricting minors’ access to materials harmful to them.
Healthy Player ONE does not prevent access to inappropriate websites. That burden belongs to the institution.